Steps to setup L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN on your Android phone
Steps to setup L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN on your Android phone:
- 1. Go to Home Screen on your Android phone
- 2. Navigate to Settings
- Tap on Settings icon
- Tap on Wireless & Networks option
- Scroll down to VPN settings.
- Tap on “Add VPN” option on the screen
- Tap on “Add L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN” option
Configuring your L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection
You will see seven different fields on the screen listed on the screen such as
- VPN Name
- Set VPN Server
- Enable L2TP Secret
- Set L2TP Secret
- Set User Certificate
- Set CA Certificate
- DNS search domains
Enter appropriate information in all fields required for configuring your VPN account. Read the instructions below before proceeding with the configuration task.
Important things to remember:
- You will be required to sign up for a VPN service to use L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN on your Android phone. You will need to have all information with you before configuring your VPN account.
- You can set any Name for the L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection. (The name entered in this field is not your username for L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection but name for VPN connection)
- The VPN server address will be provided by the VPN service provider. You need to enter actual address in Set VPN Server field while configuring your L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN account.
Enable L2TP Secret:
- You can keep the “L2TP Secret” feature enabled or keep it disabled. L2TP secret is a password used for Layer 2 Tunnel authentication. Some VPN services might require you to disable the L2TP Secret option. Refer to instructions provided by your VPN service provider. The L2TP Secret password is different from your VPN account password. Memorize or write the password down somewhere, so you don’t have problems connecting to L2TP account due to wrong L2TP Secret password.
Set L2TP Secret:
- If you have chosen to use L2TP Secret feature, enter any password of your choice when prompted for password during configuration at L2TP Secret stage.
Set User Certificate:
- You will need to download and install User Certificate for your Android device before configuring L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection. Your VPN service provider will provide you with a user certificate. Download and install the User Certificate before beginning the VPN setup process. All User certificates installed on your Android phone will be listed when you select the “Set User certificate” option during configuration process. Select the User Certificate provided by your VPN service provider.
Set CA Certificate:
- Similarly you will also need to download and install CA certificate provided by your VPN service provider.
- If you don’t have certificates installed on your phone, you should know the name of the certificates (User certificate name and CA certificate name) for your VPN service provider.
Note: The certificates (User and CA) required for authentication of your VPN connection should be stored in root folder of your SD card. If they are stored in other places in your phone, they won’t be listed or available to use while setting your L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection
DNS search domains:
- You can leave the DNS search domain option untouched, or you can use internal domain server address or Google DNS servers such as 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11.
Once you have entered all required information, tap on Back button on your Android phone. Your L2TP/IPSEC CRT VPN connection is set and ready for use. You can now see VPN service listed below the “Add VPN” option on the screen. Click on “Connect” to connect to VPN.
- After saving your VPN configuration, you may be asked to setup a password for credentials storage for your device. You need to know that this password in applicable to your phone only. It is not in any way related to your VPN connection.
- Some Android OS versions may offer a “Save” option to save all information entered in VPN configuration screen. If you are prompted with a Save option at the end of configuration, Tap on Save to save configuration details and setup a VPN connection.
- You will be prompted for Username and Password to connect to VPN service. Enter the username and password provided by your VPN service provider and connect to VPN server.