Steps to setup L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN on your Android phone
Steps to setup L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN on your Android phone:
- 1. Go to Home Screen on your Android phone
- 2. Navigate to Settings
- Tap on Settings icon
- Tap on Wireless & Networks option
- Scroll down to VPN settings
- Tap on “Add VPN” option on the screen
- Tap on “Add L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN” option
Configuring your L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN connection
You will see six different fields on the screen listed on the screen such as
- VPN Name
- Set VPN Server
- Set IPSec pre-shared key
- Enable L2TP Secret
- Set L2TP Secret
- DNS search domains
Enter appropriate information in all fields required for configuring your VPN account. Read the instructions below before proceeding with the configuration task.
Important things to remember:
- You will be required to sign up for a VPN service to use L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN on your Android phone. You will need to have all information with you before configuring your VPN account.
- You can set any Name for the L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN connection. (The name entered in this field is not your username for L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN connection but name for VPN connection)
- The VPN server address will be provided by the VPN service provider. You need to enter actual address in Set VPN Server field while configuring your L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN account.
Set IPSec pre-shared key:
- You will need to enter IPSec-pre-shared key which is provided by your VPN service provider when you sign up for L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN service.
Enable L2TP Secret:
- You can keep the “L2TP Secret” feature enabled or keep it disabled. L2TP Secret is a password used for Layer 2 Tunnel authentication. Some VPN services might require you to disable the L2TP Secret option. Refer to instructions provided by your VPN service provider. The L2TP Secret password is different from your VPN account password. Memorize or write the password down somewhere, so you don’t have problems connecting to L2TP/IPSEC PSK account due to wrong L2TP Secret password.
Set L2TP Secret:
- If you have chosen to use L2TP Secret feature, enter any password of your choice when prompted for password during configuration L2TP Secret stage.
DNS search domains:
- You can leave the DNS search domain option untouched, or you can use internal domain server address or Google DNS servers such as 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199.
Once you have entered all required information, tap on Back button on your Android phone. Your L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN connection is set and ready for use. You can now see VPN service listed under “Add VPN” option on the screen. Click on “Connect” to connect to VPN.
- Some Android OS versions may offer a “Save” option to save all information entered in configuration screen. If you are prompted with a Save option at the end of configuration, tap on Save to save configuration details and setup a VPN connection.
- You will be prompted for Username and Password to connect to VPN. Enter the username and password provided by your VPN service provider and connect to VPN.