Steps to setup PPTP VPN on your Android phone
Steps to setup PPTP VPN on your Android phone:
- 1. Go to Home Screen on your Android phone
- 2. Press Menu Button
- 3. Navigate to Settings
- Tap on Settings icon
- Tap on Wireless & Networks option
- Scroll down to VPN settings
- Tap on “Add VPN” option on the screen
- Tap on “Add PPTP VPN” option
Configuring your PPTP VPN connection:
You will see four different fields listed on the screen such as
- VPN Name
- Set VPN Server
- Enable Encryption
- DNS search domains
Enter appropriate information in all fields required for configuring your PPTP VPN account. Read the instructions below before proceeding with the configuration task.
Important things to remember:
- You will be required to sign up for a VPN service to use PPTP VPN on your Android phone. You will need to have all information with you before configuring your VPN account.
- You can set any Name for the PPTP VPN connection. (The name entered in this field is not your username for PPTP VPN connection but name for the VPN connection)
- The VPN server address will be provided by the VPN service provider. You need to enter actual address in “Set VPN Server” field while configuring your PPTP VPN account.
- You can keep the PPTP encryption enabled or disable it. Some VPN services might require you to disable the encryption. Refer to instructions provided by your VPN service provider.
DNS search domains:
- You can leave the DNS search domain option untouched, or you can use internal domain server address or Google DNS servers such as 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11.
Once you have entered all required information, tap on Back button on your Android phone. Your PPTP VPN connection is set and ready for use. You can now see VPN service listed below the “Add VPN” option on the screen. Click on “Connect” to connect to VPN.
- After saving your VPN configuration, you may be asked to setup a password for credentials storage for your device. You need to know that this password in applicable to your phone only. It is not in any way related to your VPN connection.
- Some Android OS versions may offer a “Save” option to save all information entered in VPN configuration screen. If you are prompted with a Save option at the end of configuration, Tap on Save to save configuration details and setup a VPN connection.
- You will be prompted for Username and Password to connect to VPN service. Enter the username and password provided by your VPN service provider and connect to VPN server.