SwitchVPN has made some major changes to their package options and site design. An updated review is currently in progress, but you can see the updated version of their service HERE.
To be honest, when I first heard of SwitchVPN, I didn’t really look at it twice. There didn’t seem to be many features that caught my eye, and with the huge number of VPN services around, I turned my attention to something else. However, a few years later down the road, on second and more in depth look, I found that SwitchVPN definitely has some features that will appear to certain users.
First, I’ll go over the standard features of SwitchVPN. These are things that I’d expect any VPN to have, and SwitchVPN has aptly met these standards.
- PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN available
- Multiple Server Locations
- Compatible with Mac, Linux, Windows
- PPTP and L2TP available for Smart Phones and mobile devices
- Money Back Guarantee
- Allows access to Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming sites
Below are some features that many other VPN services have, so I can quite call them unique features, but it should be noted that not all VPN services offer these. The fact that SwitchVPN does, is an asset to their product.
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Allows P2P
- No Provider logs (for privacy)
- Servers in The US and The UK
- Prices start at $6 USD per month
- Live Support and Email Support
- 1 month plans available
- 1024-2048-bit strong encryption
So, there are definitely some positives to the SwitchVPN service. There are however, as with anything, some negatives that should be mentioned.
- $6 (Standard) plan is limited to ONE country location ( Choose ONE – US, UK, DE, CA, NL)
- Standard Plan only allows P2P in NL
- For both Standard Plan and Combo Plan you can only choose ONE VPN protocol (PPTP or OpenVPN)
- Money Back Guarantee is only 48 hours
- Combo OpenVPN plan is $12 USD per month (a bit expensive)
There definitely are some negatives to the SwitchVPN packages, but there are clearly more positives, and as a reliable and fast VPN service, you can’t really complain. For me? I’d choose something else with more server options, better guarantees, and a cheaper price. However, some people may not have a choice. For example, in China where many of the larger VPN services have been experiencing issues with users connecting to their main sites to sign up, SwitchVPN has remain untouched, and has continued to provide a solid and reliable service. This alone is something that will allow them to gain user trust and confidence. Go to their main site for more details, and a closer look at features and prices.